Monday, April 5, 2010

Microwaving rice

I have a challenge living campus life. I'm not allowed a hotplate or stove to cook on. So everything has to be done with a microwave. Currently I'm learning to teach myself to cook rice in the microwave only using a bowl. I've almost gotten the technique down. (This is for medium grain rice in an open bowl)
When you microwave rice you need to make sure the rice is hydrated throughout the cooking process. SO there are two stages to cooking rice: The first stage is where most of the cooking happens, this is where you follow traditional recipes of using a 2:1 water to rice ratio. This stage requires 7-9 minutes, In the microwave here I use 8 minutes. When the 8 minutes is up, remove the rice and add enough water to cover the rice. It will still be crunchy, but not burned. mix the rice lightly with water, then place back into the microwave for another 1-2 minutes. Fluff, serve, enjoy.

Talking with a friend of mine I've been making a green tea soup style rice dish. Make the rice as described(or with traditional methods if you have access to a kitchen), then brew up some green tea. After the rice is finished add: grated Daikon Radish to taste. (or 1/2-1 regular radish, but it will be slightly spicier), wasabi powder (though I'm currently using a paste) again this is to taste. After that you can top with fish flake (or soy sauce as I do currently) then pour the hot green tea over the rice mixture and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment